Saturday, December 20, 2008

Welcome

Seeing as this is my first post to this new blog, I suppose I'd better present a bit of background and rationale for creating this blog. I am a science education doctoral candidate at the University of Colorado at Boulder, and a former high school science teacher. I taught mostly physics for 7 years in rural Indiana and Suburban Houston, TX. My interests while teaching were developing new strategies using appropriate technology, exploring students' thinking about the science topics I taught, and student assessment. Since leaving the classroom 4.5 years ago, I have become more interested in assessment of students' thinking and in educational measurement. I am also active in science teacher education. My dissertation work focuses specifically on developing an instrument to measure science teachers' strategic knowledge and knowledge of students' understanding, which I see as a part of their PCK (Shulman, 1986). Until I link things up, you can read more about this work on my webpage.

So why did I set up this blog space? Very recently, I've reconnected with my interest in educational technologies and I've been exploring potential uses of social networking in the K-12 science classroom and the science teacher education environment. I've set up this blog, therefore, as a place to record and present my thoughts along these veins:

  1. Web 2.0 stuff and social networking in K-12 and higher ed
  2. Student assessment in science
  3. My dissertation research in science teacher knowledge
  4. Whatever else pops into my head

So when I get my act together, I also hope to make this space a sort of clearing house where I can post links to my twitter activity, diigo bookmarks, nings, facebook, etc, as well as my musings on the above topics.

More to come...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers